Monday, October 27, 2008

Cool New Sippie Cup

For quite some time I have been looking for a good sippie cup for our girls that would not be made of plastic. Although the plastic cups we do use "say" that they don't leech toxic stuff into the beverages, I just have a hard time believing them! :) Have you ever tasted water that has been sitting in a warm sippie cup. On the very rare occasion that I have, the water tastes like plastic. So something is getting into the water! Toxic or not, "plastic" water still tastes pretty bad. Another reason I have been looking for a good non-plastic cup, is because our girls drink hot chocolate every morning and most, if not all, plastic sippie cups say that they are not made for "warm beverages."
I recently purchased this Thermos brand sippie cup after reading good reviews about it. The only plastic on this cup is in the lid and it is BPA free (non-leeching). We have REALLY liked this new cup! I actually want one for myself. This cup keeps the ice in a cup of ice water for over 12 hours! The water tastes great and is perfectly chilled. The cup barely feels cold to the touch, and it doesn't "sweat." As long as the lid is securely snapped, it is leak proof. At 15 bucks a piece, we only have one right now, but I am keeping my eyes peeled to snatch up some more on sale. I would love to get three more--for the girls to have a couple extra and so that on long trips we can each use one!

Oh, and if you are now judging me for giving my girls hot chocolate every morning, I want to clarify that it is a homemade mix made with Special Dark cocoa powder, organic dry milk, and Splenda. :)

Here is the recipe:

2 pounds powdered milk (equivalent to 2 ½ gallons mixed)
1 ½ cup Special Dark Cocoa
1 ½ cup powdered creamer
1½ to 2 cups Splenda

4 comments:

Hong and Tami Kim said...

"klean kanteens" are good too! it's what all the little kids around here use. :) they are also expensive.

Gina said...

Ooooh, love that! And since two of my kids drink COFFEE (so trust me...I'm not judging you for the hot chocolate thing) and one drinks hot tea and one...well, he's still nursing...these would totally rock our worlds! Where did you get the one you have? I'm pointing my mom in that direction for Christmas! :)

Oh, and do you have...I think it's the Buffet the Body cookbook from BCLR? Kerry T. has a *great* hot mocha mix recipe in there that we use (I leave the coffee out) and we LOVE it.

Krista said...

Gina, I ended up getting this cup at Target. I tried to find better deals online, but once shipping was factored in, it wasn't any cheaper than Target. The cup I got is in the Thermos Foogo line. There are also some that have characters and other fun designs that are Thermos FunTainers. Either are good, my Target just didn't have a design that I liked.

Tami, I did come across those Klean Kanteens. Do you guys have them? If so, what do you think of them. I guess there were just some features I liked better about the Thermos one (one being...it is insulated so that it doesn't sweat or become too hot or cold to the touch). I wouldn't mind trying those Klean Kanteens though. I just haven't seen them in stores where I can really get a good look at them.

Jenny said...

how cool!! I've still been reading your blog but it's usually from my iphone during my lunch break at school and it's almost impossible to comment:)
I still haven't tried that pumpkin cheesecake but I'm Looking forward to it!!!