Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Pumpkin Pizza

While reading a children's Thanksgiving library book to my girls, I came across this idea for a pumpkin pizza. After quickly googling the recipe, I found this one. It is pretty easy to make and is really yummy. It is kind of the fall version of a fruit pizza.

(please pardon my messed up fall arrangement, I have regular help rearranging it!)

Crust
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla
3 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
some chopped nuts, pecans are good, optional for sprinkling on top

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cream together the butter and sugar. Add the egg and vanilla; mix until well blended.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, and baking powder. Gradually add flour mixture to the butter mixture and blend well on low speed. Remove and knead briefly into a smooth ball.
Place the dough on a pizza pan and pat out gently to the edges. Bake 10 to 12 minutes until the crust is golden brown on the edges. Let cool before topping.

Cheese Layer
8 oz. cream cheese
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
12 oz. package of whipped topping, divided—save 4 oz. for topping

Unwrap cream cheese, place in microwave safe bowl and heat in microwave on high for 20 to 30 seconds. Mix sugar, cinnamon and vanilla into cheese. Fold in about 2/3 of the whipped topping. Refrigerate until ready to assemble pizza.

Sauce (Pumpkin) Layer
1 cup cold milk
2 small pkg. instant vanilla pudding mix (I used 1 large vanilla cook and serve)
1/2 cup sugar
16 oz. can pumpkin
2 tsp. cinnamon

Whisk pudding into milk (if using the cook and serve, follow cooking directions, but still only put 1 cup of milk with pudding mix). Mixture will be very thick. Stir in pumpkin, sugar and cinnamon. Refrigerate 3 hours or overnight.

Assembling PizzaSpread cheese layer over the prepared crust. Top with the pumpkin mixture. Then spread the remaining 4 oz. of whipped topping on top. If desired, sprinkle a few chopped nuts over the top.

ENJOY!

4 comments:

beckylbranch said...

oh wow! That looks delicious! I am LOVING anything pumpkin right now :)

Jenny said...

Mmmm.. that looks delicious!

The Outlaw Family said...

this looks SO yummy!!

besnini said...

It does look yummy. I have to confess though, when I first read "Pumpkin Pizza" I thought, pumpkins, tomato sauce and cheese...um yuck :) I should have known better! Thanks for the recipe.