Saturday, May 10, 2008

My least favorite job to do in the kitchen

I have found that it is more economical to buy a couple bags of onions when they go on sale Buy One Get One Free. But that means I have to chop onions for about an hour or more. At least it doesn't have to be done more than once every couple of months.

The zip lock bags of diced onions do well in the freezer, and it makes cooking so much easier every day since I put onions in a lot of things that I regularly cook.

I think that I have mentioned the goggles before...but they are great to help keep me from crying the whole time. My eyes are so sensitive to cutting onions. If I don't wear goggles, I literally can't cut onions. My eyes will water and sting so much I can't even open them to see what I am doing!

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Girl, you need a Pampered Chef food chopper! You'll never cut onions with a knife again.

Krista said...

Jennifer, I knew someone (or lots of someones!) was going to say that I needed a chopper! I have just never gotten around to getting one! BTW, I didn't know you blogged!!!

Anita said...

what...no picture? :) i was going to say you need a food processor. i do the same thing w/ onions- chop them up and put in the freezer. it's so fast w/ a food processor!

Jennifer said...

Krista, I've only been blogging a few months, so you're not that far behind. :)

Anita,I never thought about using a food processor. Mine has so many parts it's a pain to clean up so I only use it when I have to. That would be a lot faster, though.

Meg in Tally said...

Before you start cutting the onions, take a little piece of bread and hold it under your tongue while you cut. NO TEARS!!! This sounds silly, but it really works...just don't ask me why!