Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Five Faves

My friend Jennifer tagged me for this several weeks ago. Since I am JUST NOW caught up on blogging Christmas pictures, I thought I would give it a shot! :)

What are five non-fiction books that have had a significant impact on your life (other than the Bible)?
This is a hard question. There have been portions of MANY books that have made impacts on my life, and it seems that if I read a book while doing a “study guide” along with the book, I end up liking it even more!

1. Profiting from the Word by A.W. Pink-- I read this book probably 5 or more years ago, but I remember the impact it made on me significantly.
2. Who Are You to Judge by Dave Swavely—By nature, I am legalistic and proud. God has really used this book to humble me and conform me more into His image.
3. Don’t Make Me Count to Three by Ginger Plowman—This book has caused be to be a godlier parent and seek to address heart issues in my girls. It is a great compliment to Shepherding A Child’s Heart
4. Respectable Sins AND The Practice of Godliness by Jerry Bridges—this author is so good at making practical application to the heart.
5. Instruments in the Redeemers Hands by Paul Tripp—This counseling focused book has been an encouragement to me to be ready to “give an answer” or respond in such a way that pleases God and encourage others in righteousness.


What are your five favorite fiction books of all time?
I really haven’t read fictional books in quite some time! And I really don’t remember much of what I read! I read some fictional series growing up, but since adulthood I have read very little fiction.

The only fictional books that I have “chosen” to read and really enjoyed (that I can think of) are:

1. Stepping Heavenward by Elizabeth Prentiss—this fictional journal of a young women into womanhood shows how God matures her in her faith as she encounters many circumstances of life.
2. Pilgrim’s Progress by John Bunyan—it has been a REALLY long time since I have read this, but I did enjoy it.

These last 3 books were “assigned” reading in Lit classes in college. I am sorry! I just honestly can’t think of any other books that have really stuck out to me! J It is not that I “love” these stories, they are just a few that stick out in my mind among all of the assigned reading I was given.
3. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
4. The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman
5. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald


What were five of your favorite books (or series) when you were growing up?
1. Little House on the Prairie Series
2. The Susie and Johnny Series by J. C. Brumfield

3. Mandi Series
4. Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew series
5. Trixie Belden series


Name five books you would like to read this year
1. Alone with God by John MacArthur—I look forward studying about prayer...it is definitely one area in which I could see much room for improvement in my life.
2. The Law of Kindness by Mary Beeke—I always need instruction on how to better demonstrate the fruit of the spirit!
3. A Quest for More: Living for something bigger than you by Paul Tripp and Walter Henegar
4. Sweethearts for a Lifetime by Wayne and Carol Mack—Jimmy and I started this last year, but it is REALLY hard to find time to read together...I might just read it by myself.

5. Relationships: A Mess Worth Making by Tim Lane and Paul Tripp

I will have to finish putting in links to the rest of the books later. I am feeling REALLY sick right now looking at the computer!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Thanks for posting, Krista! There are some books in your lists I may have to check out myself. It's funny that of the 2 people that have responded to this post so far, both of you don't really read fiction books. I guess I'm different in that respect, mostly because of Lamplighter books and also because I try to pre-read Alyssa's school books, which are mostly historical fiction.