Friday, August 29, 2008

Mystery: Solved

So after much sleuthing, I finally pieced together the clues that revealed my mystery reader. No, my stalker didn't reveal themselves (not exactly, at least)...I had to track them down. You want to know HOW I figured it out and WHO the mystery reader was? Well, read on...

So, I have been obsessing over a reader that has been visiting our blog a couple times per day for as long as I have been monitoring my SiteMeter's visitor tracker. I originally became perplexed at the regularity of this visitor from Yuma, Arizona. Then I became increasingly uncomfortable which quickly turned into being obsessively anxious. Especially since Yuma is right near the border of Mexico (of course, where all fugitives must live).



So, I tried my hand at interpreting all of those little IP Address numbers and ISP information to see if I could figure anything out. Nada. I even looked up the addresses for all of the people that I have ever known that were ever even remotely connected to Arizona to see if any of them lived in Yuma or surrounding areas. Once again, I came up empty.



While talking to my mom today, I was telling her that I was getting kind of concerned because this reader was still visiting our blog but just would not leave a comment! My mom is great at brainstorming so she started trying to help me figure out who it might be. At one point she said, "Are you sure it isn't me, Krista? I visit your blog a couple times a day." I quickly dismissed it and said, "Of course it isn't you, Mom. You are like a couple thousand miles from Yuma!"



Later on, as I was "obsessively" going back over both the Sitemeter visitor log and the LiveVisitorFeed (that I temporarily added back to help solve my mystery), I discovered something. A valuable clue. Although my mom had said that she visits our blog a couple times per day (and I have never known her to lie!), Post Falls, Idaho (or anywhere even in that vacinity) hadn't shown up once in all of the history of the SiteMeter's visitor log. I was so obsessed with the Yuma visitor that I hardly focused on anything else! But she had said she had logged in a couple times per day, right?! So...I quickly located the time of the last Yuma, Arizona visit (on the Sitemeter log) and also located the time for the last Post Falls, Idaho visit (on the LiveVistorFeed) and found that they logged on within a second of each other. Interesting! So, the real test...I called my mom to get her to log in again so that I could watch both logs to see if the simultaneous log would happen again. Well, guess what! My stalker from Yuma, Arizona was none other than my dearest, most beloved mother! I know of absolutely no reason why her computer is showing up from Yuma, Arizona on one log and as Post Falls, Idaho on the other. But at this point, I really don't care. I am just so happy that my fugitive stalker hiding out on the Mexican border was just a figment of my imagination! Thank you, God!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you figured me out! And why wouldn't I be your biggest fan???? Too bad I couldn't spy on all my children from my Yuma, Arizona hideout! --MomJ

besnini said...

I'm smiling!!! I think it is amusing that the stalker turned out to be your mom. How weird are computers? Also, I find it amusing that you were concerned about the "stalker" in Yuma, AZ and then used the word "nada" in regards to your turning up nothing in your search...nada being a mexican word. Maybe I'm silly but I think it is funny. I miss the Fetterlys btw and am so glad your are safe from the two hurricanes we have had.