Friday, May 16, 2008

My Injury

Sorry about the blurry picture. I guess I am too lazy to take a better picture.

Soooo....what happened, you ask!?!? Well, last night I was trying to cut some fabric to bring to the sewing circle at church that evening. Although I might have been somewhat distracted multi-tasking (tending to the girls), I have to say I was really giving the task my full attention. As I was nearing the end of the cutting, my rotary cutter slipped and went right over my finger! OUCH! I screamed one loud scream. Then I was completely silent so that I wouldn't alarm the girls who came rushing over to check on me. I was squeezing my finger really tightly, then I went over to run a little cold water over it. It was gushing blood so I wrapped a few paper towels around it and held it tightly above my head. I was actually feeling sort of lightheaded and I wasn't at all sure how much of my finger had been cut. Since Jimmy wasn't home and was unreachable because he was in class, I called my mom and she said I better get someone to come over in case if I passed out AND to see if I needed to go to the ER. I had a friend from church (who has nursing experience) and her daughter come over. She looked at it and said that I probably should go in to have it checked out. So she took me to the Urgent Care while her daughter watched the girls. It took a while before I was able to see the doctor. The bleeding had subsided and the skin was actually stuck back together pretty well. The doctor reasoned that the cut was pretty clean since I was only cutting fabric. He didn't even open the wound back up. He just cleaned around it and GLUED it back together. You can't really see where the cut is in the picture, but it is only about 3/4 of an inch long starting at the edge of my fingernail. The glue is pretty much like a layer of wax that protects it while the skin grows back together. So far it has worked great! I am thanking God that it was not any worse than it was.

The saddest part of the evening was that Jewel didn't get to go to Sewing Circle. This was going to be her very first time and she was very excited. Thankfully, she got to play with one of her favorite people at church for a couple of hours while I was getting my finger tended to!

5 comments:

Hong and Tami Kim said...

sheesh!!! i'm sorry you went through that!

(umm...next time, can you post the picture AFTER the story?? lol. my stomach dropped as soon as I clicked on your blog and saw the picture!!! Normally, I can handle that stuff, but my tummy must be a little weaker since my kid is up in my ribs now!)

ick.

glad you got that glue bandaid!

Anonymous said...

Glad you're doing okay. I'll bet that finger will be all healed by the time I get there....so I won't have to wash dishes after all!!!! -Mom

Krista said...

Tami: I am sorry about grossing you out. The picture, I think, doesn't really even do by battle wound justice! I thought that it looked pretty insignificant in the picture.

Mom: Thanks for the encouragement, but when has it mattered whether or not that I am physically able to do the dishes? I thought it was understood that you ALWAYS do the dishes, regardless of my well-being! Remember our summer deal? I cook; you clean! HaHa!

Rob Bailey said...

hey. gave you some kind of off hand tribute. http://rb-onemorecupofcoffee.blogspot.com/2008/05/were-with-you-fet-fam.html

Hannah said...

Trust me the wooziness is not from loss of blood it is from the pain and shock you body was going through due to the injury. I did almost the same thing with one of those razor blade box cutters. Except I almost took a huge chunk off of my finger rather than cutting down into it. And trust me I almost passed out once I felt the pain. Ahh the joys of Dermabond.