Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Thanksgiving Tree begins...

If you remember from last year, we did a Thanksgiving Tree during the month leading up to Thanksgiving Day. Last year, I started with a bare tree then added leaves as we wrote something we were thankful for on them. Halfway through all that, I realized that leaves should be coming off of the tree not being put on! :) So this year, we are starting out with a full tree and as we take a leaf off and write something we are thankful for on it, we will move the leaf down to the base of the tree. We will see how it works!
If you are wondering why we are starting so early this year...it is because we will have fewer evenings around the dinner table since Jimmy has class late a couple nights each week. AND because my girls really wanted to do it when they saw the tree in our fall decoration box.

5 comments:

Candy S said...

Clever idea! What a wonderful tradition. Are you saving the leaves to read later?

Jennifer said...

That's a great idea, to have the leaves falling! Is your tree made of paper or did you make it with something more permanent that you can use year after year?

Jenny said...

Oooo.. I hope you don't mind if I steal this idea!! I LOVE it!!! I love the idea of starting with the tree full and having the leaves fall.

Also, I saw your update on facebook about that yummy pumpkin cheesecake. You MUST give the recipe:)

Krista said...

Candy, Yes we did save our leaves from last year. What is especially fun to look at are the leaves that our company had written to say what they were thankful for. The Thanksgiving Tree was especially helpful to us as we had just moved and were still adjusting to life here.

Jennifer, I am using the same tree that I used last year. It is just made from the backside of a front cover to one of those huge coloring books. This year, however, I had to add a white piece of poster board so that I could have my leaves spread out a bit more. I painted the tree with brown paint. It has sort of taken a beating; I am sure I will have to make a new one next year. Oh, and the leaves are attached with rubber cement. Last year I just used those doublesided tape squares for scrapbooking. They worked pretty well, but were a little tough to remove.

Jenny, I sure don't mind if you steal my idea. I actually stole it from another friend's blog last year! I will try to post the Pumpkin Swirl Cheesecake recipe soon! I have made it several years...it is easy and delicious!

Jennifer said...

Maybe if you laminated the posterboard, it would hold up longer? Mardel's has really inexpensive lamination (I think it's 12 cents per foot). I don't know if you have some place like that where you can get it done, but that would be inexpensive and make it last longer.