Friday, August 22, 2008

Baked Tuna Fish and Pasta


I have tried this recipe twice and it has turned out great both times. I have actually tweaked it a bit from the original recipe I found. My whole family really enjoyed it!
2 cups dry pasta (I used whole grain Penne)
2 6 oz. cans tuna fish
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup flour
4 cups milk (I actually used half water and it turned out fine)
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 1/2 teaspoons pepper
3/4 cup cheddar cheese (or Velveeta cheese)
1 cup bread crumbs
optional...I added about 1/2 to 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cook pasta and drain. Drain tuna fish. Toss 1 tablespoon melted butter with bread crumbs. Melt remaining butter in sauce pan. Add flour stirring constantly. Add milk, salt, and pepper. Stir periodically. Once mixture is brought to a boil, stir constantly. Sauce will begin to thicken. Stir in shredded or cubed cheddar cheese. Combine pasta, tuna fish, tomatoes, and sauce. Pour into a greased baking dish. Bake at 325 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.
I think this would probably serve 6 to 8. I only baked half of it and put the other half in the freezer for later use.

No comments: