Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Key Truths

A few mornings ago during my Bible study, I was thanking the Lord for the illumination of scripture that He has granted me throughout my lifetime, specifically in my adult years. I began to reflect upon the many key truths that God has taught me along the way. I quickly grabbed a piece of scratch paper and began to jot down many of those key truths that have been so life changing for me. Within a couple of minutes I had listed a dozen or so life-changing truths that God had taught me over the past 10 years. I decided that I would journal a few thoughts about each one and how each one has shaped my life.

Key Truth #1: All spiritual growth is only by the grace of God (there is no growth apart from the Truth from the Word of God). As a teenager I remember reflecting over the past year on my birthday to see if I could spot any spiritual growth in my life. It was always discouraging to come to the conclusion that I was just about the same as I was the previous year and the year before that and the year before that...you get the picture. My lack of spiritual growth baffled me. I was very self-righteous thinking of everything that I DID...I “never missed” a quiet time each day, I attended every church service, I was the most knowledgeable of God’s word in my youth group, I was obedient to my parents, and the list could go on and on. When arriving at college, my self-righteousness was only compounded by me “clepping” out of Bible at a Bible college. What more could I need to know about God and the Bible?!? However, deep down, I knew that I was not experiencing spiritual growth. Instead of growing in my fear and love for the Lord, my love for the world was being strengthened by my busy college life...

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

What a great idea! And I can definitely relate to the spiritual growth dilemma, too. Even now, things come up that I thought I had conquered long ago. I hate it when that happens. :(

I look forward to the rest of this series of posts.